A home health aid who was sacked from a home health program after the death of her boyfriend last year has died in hospital.
Brittany Pugh, 32, died at the University of Calgary Health Sciences Centre on Thursday, hospital spokeswoman Michelle Sarnoff confirmed.
Pugh was working at the home health agency’s residential drug and alcohol prevention program.
Sarnon said Pugh had worked with the agency since October 2016.
“We are devastated by this loss and ask that you respect Brittany’s privacy during this difficult time,” the statement said.
“Her work was integral to the mission of the residential program and she will be greatly missed.”
The agency said in a statement that Pugh’s death was not related to her employment.
“As with all aspects of our services, Brittany was deeply passionate about helping people, and her dedication and commitment to helping people in need was infectious and infectious to others,” it said.
Puch was hired to work with people with substance use disorders and their families in March 2016.
In October 2016, Puch’s boyfriend died at home from a heroin overdose.
Puzich, who had a young child at the time, was hired by the agency as a home aide.
Sartoff said the agency was unable to say more about Puch.
In January 2017, Pugh left the agency and began working as a housekeeper for her boyfriend, who she had been dating for two years.
Sartson said the couple did not have any prior problems and that the boyfriend was in good health.
“Brittany’s commitment to our clients was legendary and was one of our top priorities,” she said.
Sarsour and Pugh were roommates at a Toronto condo, where they shared a room.
Sursery and Puziches lived together in a home in the downtown core, near a Starbucks and other businesses.
The couple’s father is a police officer in Ontario and their mother is a teacher in the Toronto area.
Sarnais’ father, who lives in Montreal, said the family is devastated by the news.
“I’ve never seen her go that far,” he said.
It’s not known if Puzicheys last known address was in Toronto.
Sernoffs statement said the residential drug prevention program provides a safe, supportive environment for people struggling with substance abuse.
“The home health workers are equipped to meet the needs of individuals in need of the services, with the support of trained and experienced volunteers, while still maintaining a safe and welcoming environment,” it read.
Pursers, Sartoffs and Sarnons declined to comment further.
Srosnoff did say the agency is “shocked and saddened” by the loss of Puziez.
Sorkowsky, the CEO of the Canadian Association of Social Workers, called the news “heartbreaking.”
“I am shocked and saddened by the passing of Brittany Puch, who worked tirelessly to help people in crisis,” he told CBC News.
“She was an extraordinary professional and person.
We were very fortunate to have her at our service.”